Skip to main content

Happy Days

Its been an absolutely fantastic year so far. Its been mostly good, with certain downs and lows, but on the whole good. I spent 2009 and 2010 largely alone, in Delhi, Shimla and Dehradun, away from friends and family, except for the occasional visit to Goa and the long long vacation in December 2010.

2011 is not so, its like my loneliness has been done away with Mukta entering my life. And that too despite the fact that Mukta is in Bangalore and has been here at best a total of 20 days all of 2011. Hell, she hasn’t even been to the Chandigarh house yet, but I am not alone.

I have had the immense good fortune to have mom spend almost 4 months with me this year. This counting the time till September 22 that she intends to spend here. Nonetheless, it has been fun. I would really hate to see her go back to Goa. I am hoping Dad would join me here instead.

Its so wonderful to have your mother around, it can be slightly stressing at times, what with the number of controls one has to exert upon oneself, and the list of things one can’t do around the house or outside… But the upsides are more than worth it. I am eating home made food, Poor mom does most of the household work that would otherwise be held up till the weekends, leaving weekends free for both of us to gallivanting all over.

We have been on a weekend to Mussourrie, Shimla, last weekend was in Delhi where we were riding the metro up and down the entire city like small children. Believe it or not, we actually travelled from Gurgaon to Karkarduma and back, all of 90 minutes one way. but it was fun. I even managed to drag mom off to watch Kung Fu Panda 2 and Harry Potter 7B.

I bought my first car this year. The amazing Tata Nano. It is truly an engineering miracle. I still can’t believe how spacious that little car is. It may be little, but the car got me from Dehradun to Chandigarh, even climbed up the hills into Shimla. Added bonus being the fact that mom is no longer restricted to the house or dependent on public transport. She is comfortable driving the car into town and getting groceries. She even went into uncharted territory and kept a dentist’s appointment.

All in all, it has been a very good year so far. Very fortunate to have my mum close to me. Made me realise how lonely and dull I had become over the last 2 years. Here’s to you mum.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmm, come february, I have a new mate, my new Toshiba Satellite with windows Vista! Bugger, I hate Vista already, consumes all of my 512 MB ram and there is no difference between running vista basic on this notebook and running XP on my old notebook with 128 MB ram. My frustration has led me to rename Windows Vista as Windows Vishthha... Vishtha meaning spit in my native tongue. Gates could have been more clearer when naming it. He Heh

A holiday in Zimbabwe

Its been roughly seven months since I arrived here in Zimbabwe. Most of it has been spent working 15-18 hours a day giving rise to complaints and accusations of me ignoring my family, the wife etc. even leading to a time when my wife refused to communicate with me. While many a married man may find that a pleasant thought, I for one very much like my wife talking to me, because that makes sure I don't have to say anything, which is just as well since I usually don't have anything much to say or talk about these days except work. But it was all worth it. All the hard work, long hours and ignoring the family paid off finally when it came to cashing in my chips. The wife and me went on a holiday!! But planning and putting together the holiday was by itself a daunting task. You see, while I am in Harare, Zimbabwe, the wife is in Oxford, UK, also working also constrained by the fact the since she'd just joined in August 2013, there could be a problem getting leave. But al

Priorities

Its been  2 months since I have begun my new adventure in Zimbabawe. Contrary to popular belief, its a thriving society, with kind, good natured albeit greedy people, striving to get back on its feet after the economic meltdown a decade ago. I thought the going would be tough. Its much more than tough, its brutal, but I find myself enjoying it. The pressure, the multitasking, developing people skills, the responsibility and the the multiple roles that I am playing here seem to give me a rush, the same kind of rush that I felt when I was working my own gig at Goa in 2006-2008. But, in this rush, I seem to have forgotten that I am now a married man, that part of my free time, all if possible, belongs to my family. So engrossed am I in my work, that I am finding myself thinking more of work and less of the family I left back home. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with me? What makes one forget some things while remembering others? What makes ME, remember to call up every sing