Skip to main content

Fruits of Labour - I - A twist in the tale

A long time since my last post. Been kind of busy. Our office was organising a one of a kind, first time ever B2B show. Ok, for the record, B2B stands for Business to Business and not some geeky acronym off the net.


This show was christened "Industrial Expo 2011" and slated for 29, 30 and 31 March 2011. What is it with my organisation and weekends. I mean weekends are supposed to be off, but we rarely get them off. Almost all events, programmes, meetings, conferences, seminars etc have to be organised and scheduled for a weekend.


Nonetheless, I wasn't much of a part of it, since the preparations were on since September 2010 and i only joined in November 2010. besides I had taken a whole month off and joined only on 19 Jan 2011. As a result, I was kinda uninvolved in any of the aspects of the expo. i felt guilty though and tried to help out my team in whatever way I could, doing odd jobs, and working on the menial tasks of data entry, correspondence, telephonic follow ups etc. I was not to accompany the team to Haridwar either, instead stay back and hold the fort and provide any support these guys may need.


yeah about Haridwar; it lies at a distance of approximately 55 kms from Dehradun (where my office is) and is one of the largest Industrial areas of Uttarakhand. Incidently, it is also famous for its shrines and the river Ganga which flows right past this town. thats where the industrial expo was going to be held obviously since dehradun has little or no industry.


About the team, at the time I returned from holiday, our office was bustling with 8 people in the office. 3 regular officers, 1 director, 1 office peon and 3 temporary staff; as compared to the normally subdued and leisurely pace of work. I was actually left out.


Preparations were on in full swing. I had attended a similar trade fair although on a much larger scale in December. this time I was just not some additional staff being called in from other offices to provide manpower support. this time I was part of the core team. but our team was lacking in manpower and experience, as a result we had almost 10 people from the various offices in the northern region chipping in and taking up different responsibilities. 


It was all set, despite our worst fears almost all of the floor space (I shall explain these terms in later posts) had been sold and we were all set to put the show o the road. Participants had started dispatching thier machinery, which they were to showcase at the expo, invitations were printed and ready, to be posted, letters of invitation had been sent to VIPs, eminent persons, elected persons, appointed persons etc. Some of these guys even confirmed their dates of visit to the expo. 


There were like 10 days to go to the expo and we get to here that the Govt is pulling out. And they were supposed to be partnering the expo, helping us get clearances etc. And why was the govt pulling out at the last minute cause local body elections were scheduled in Haridwar district and the election commission had imposed code of conduct in the area. the election commission had expressly denied permission to hold the expo in a letter too.


And chaos struck. Long hours of deliberating whether we should let the govt withdraw from the event and do it on our own or should we postpone, or should we appeal to the election commission. We were desperately trying to play out all possible scenarios and their possible outcomes and repercussions. But a decision had to be taken nonetheless.....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmm, come february, I have a new mate, my new Toshiba Satellite with windows Vista! Bugger, I hate Vista already, consumes all of my 512 MB ram and there is no difference between running vista basic on this notebook and running XP on my old notebook with 128 MB ram. My frustration has led me to rename Windows Vista as Windows Vishthha... Vishtha meaning spit in my native tongue. Gates could have been more clearer when naming it. He Heh

A holiday in Zimbabwe

Its been roughly seven months since I arrived here in Zimbabwe. Most of it has been spent working 15-18 hours a day giving rise to complaints and accusations of me ignoring my family, the wife etc. even leading to a time when my wife refused to communicate with me. While many a married man may find that a pleasant thought, I for one very much like my wife talking to me, because that makes sure I don't have to say anything, which is just as well since I usually don't have anything much to say or talk about these days except work. But it was all worth it. All the hard work, long hours and ignoring the family paid off finally when it came to cashing in my chips. The wife and me went on a holiday!! But planning and putting together the holiday was by itself a daunting task. You see, while I am in Harare, Zimbabwe, the wife is in Oxford, UK, also working also constrained by the fact the since she'd just joined in August 2013, there could be a problem getting leave. But al

Priorities

Its been  2 months since I have begun my new adventure in Zimbabawe. Contrary to popular belief, its a thriving society, with kind, good natured albeit greedy people, striving to get back on its feet after the economic meltdown a decade ago. I thought the going would be tough. Its much more than tough, its brutal, but I find myself enjoying it. The pressure, the multitasking, developing people skills, the responsibility and the the multiple roles that I am playing here seem to give me a rush, the same kind of rush that I felt when I was working my own gig at Goa in 2006-2008. But, in this rush, I seem to have forgotten that I am now a married man, that part of my free time, all if possible, belongs to my family. So engrossed am I in my work, that I am finding myself thinking more of work and less of the family I left back home. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with me? What makes one forget some things while remembering others? What makes ME, remember to call up every sing