Skip to main content

Random Ramblings!

Now that I have a rhyming, stupid title to my blog, which may seem to some as a vain effort to write something cool, lets move on to the real purpose of this post.

It has been a thoroughly busy week, no make it fortnight. I have been downright busy since the 19th of nov. and look at the date today, its 29th. ten days have gone by in a whiff.

Lets go chronologically here, timeline is very important

19th to the 20th of november 2009 - The H.O. had planned a special training workshop for its team in shimla, that would be my colleagues and me. this workshop was supposedly to train us in some documentation system designed to keep tabs on the project progress, its activities, the actvities and progress / performance of the people working on the project, the sub-agencies ad infinitum. Altho the manual said it was to be used for betterment of the program and those working for it and not as a policing tool, I fail to see how a system basically designed to keep tabs and checks on all te stuff mentioned above cannot be a policing tool.

of course it is a policing tool, agreed, it helps identify successes so that they may be applied elsewhere and failures so that they may not be repeated anywhere, the bottom line remains, that if ideas / people do not perform..... heads will roll!!!

nonetheless, after three days of discussing stuff like LFA, and process doc and MIS and coming up with various formats for reporting within and outside the system etc, 6 extremely tired people were looking to a break.... a sunday. when out of the blue the project proponent has a bee in his bonnet and all over best laid plans are laid to waste. some team members were to go back home, they were detained, somewere supposed to go attend another workshop the next week, the schedule was cancelled, and I am sure at considerable losses to the company.

22nd - 28th November 2009
The entire team of 8 (initially 9, reduced later to 8 by a bee in someone's bonnet) which included some bozos set out ambitiously early in the morning of the 22nd, despite it being a very very lovely sunday. but as luck would have it, the same proponent had another bee in his bonnet and started making unusual rules considering the transportation. the entire team threatened to revolt. people in high places were woken up on a sunday morning at 8 am both in delhi and shimla and the matter was somehow pacified. the details can get ugly, no need to put them here. Over the following 5 days the entire team covered 5 wards of a town, 5 villages, had 3 meetings, attended 2 functions, participated in 1 for 4 days and kept documentation of all the work done for the day ready hence the powers that be suddenly have a midnight urge to see a field report.

Phew!

Until next time, end of rambling session.

feels good to let it out of the system, must to it more often.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmm, come february, I have a new mate, my new Toshiba Satellite with windows Vista! Bugger, I hate Vista already, consumes all of my 512 MB ram and there is no difference between running vista basic on this notebook and running XP on my old notebook with 128 MB ram. My frustration has led me to rename Windows Vista as Windows Vishthha... Vishtha meaning spit in my native tongue. Gates could have been more clearer when naming it. He Heh

A holiday in Zimbabwe

Its been roughly seven months since I arrived here in Zimbabwe. Most of it has been spent working 15-18 hours a day giving rise to complaints and accusations of me ignoring my family, the wife etc. even leading to a time when my wife refused to communicate with me. While many a married man may find that a pleasant thought, I for one very much like my wife talking to me, because that makes sure I don't have to say anything, which is just as well since I usually don't have anything much to say or talk about these days except work. But it was all worth it. All the hard work, long hours and ignoring the family paid off finally when it came to cashing in my chips. The wife and me went on a holiday!! But planning and putting together the holiday was by itself a daunting task. You see, while I am in Harare, Zimbabwe, the wife is in Oxford, UK, also working also constrained by the fact the since she'd just joined in August 2013, there could be a problem getting leave. But al

Priorities

Its been  2 months since I have begun my new adventure in Zimbabawe. Contrary to popular belief, its a thriving society, with kind, good natured albeit greedy people, striving to get back on its feet after the economic meltdown a decade ago. I thought the going would be tough. Its much more than tough, its brutal, but I find myself enjoying it. The pressure, the multitasking, developing people skills, the responsibility and the the multiple roles that I am playing here seem to give me a rush, the same kind of rush that I felt when I was working my own gig at Goa in 2006-2008. But, in this rush, I seem to have forgotten that I am now a married man, that part of my free time, all if possible, belongs to my family. So engrossed am I in my work, that I am finding myself thinking more of work and less of the family I left back home. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with me? What makes one forget some things while remembering others? What makes ME, remember to call up every sing