Skip to main content

The International Experience

I have been wanting to "pen" this one down for ages. I was simply worried that it might not be right or correct to write this post. But I could not move on either, hence the long delay since my last post almost 6 months ago.  Finally i have decided to write this post down, first I need to get it out of my system and second, unless I write this, I wont move on and I so want to post more.

It is said international experience changes a person. Exposure to other cultures and communities and people who live differently, in different environments makes one more mature. You see the wider scope of things, the problems other people face, their beliefs and perceptions.

But does this really happen? It did happen to me, I guess, I started counting my blessings for having been born and brought up in India and for being borne into a Hindu family. This was achieved after a lot of comparison between what we have in India and the conditions/ situations / environment faced by the people I was surrounded with. But then is the international experience supposed to make me compare lifestyles? It seems to imply a higher level of maturity, of understanding other people's points of view, becoming a person wiser in the ways of the world and what not. For me, it simply boiled down to a head to head comparison as I got a more and more exposed to the differences in my life in India and the life of the people I was surrounded by.

I felt sorry for the apparent lack of democracy and empowerment and the poverty of the people of Zimbabwe, a country which is rich in natural resources, but then so is the case with Jharkhand. But the rest of India lives a life of liberty and freedom pretty much. I felt envious of the Zimbabweans for the large tracts of empty land they have with no people to occupy it and I felt bad for the overcrowded cities of India with no room to expand.

I felt belittled by the civic sense and driving of both Zimbabweans and the English, I have now nervous ticks about driving in India after getting used to such disciplined and rule-following driving in both these countries. I felt sorry for the Brits, where shopping is a nightmare and they don't have the concept of Maximum Retail Price which allows every store owner to set his/her own price on goods. That makes good market for superstores. But then again, its possible to return goods and get your money back in so many ways and so easily, we don't have that kind of trust in India.

I felt bitter in the British winter and was frustrated by the changing weather everyday; I really am not used to looking at the weekend forecast  to plan my day, in India I basically know if its going to rain or stay dry depending on the month. And understood completely why they long for the sunny beaches of Goa. I miss you so, Colva beach!!

I envy the quality of life the English have, with the nice public transport and the polite rule following population and beautiful countryside, how they work 35 hrs a week or how even a plumber can make enough to live comfortably or the extent of medical treatment covered by the extensive albeit strained National Health Service. I feel bad for the old people here who are left to fend for themselves but at the same time feel happy that there are charities and agencies which are working to provide them support. In India most parents still have connections and support from their kids but in case they don't we lack any kind of support infrastructure or systems.

Its is noteworthy how the British have preserved their old buildings and landmarks, parts of the cities and towns have been preserved well. they would rather move slowly or develop elsewhere rather than pull down old beautiful buildings. They even keep renovating the hundreds of years old buildings bit by bit, as a result of which they look new on the outside and are modern on the inside too. How many of our old buildings converted to government offices have gone to pot and later torn down to simply be replaced by concrete monstrosities? Then again, there hasn't been any kind of construction in Zimbabwe for the past 15 years.

I had made a list of comparative notes, but after writing just these few, I feel it was an unnecessary exercise, I know I want to go back, Goa will always be 'home'. Yet as I understand now, I know how things can go wrong and I know how 'good' things can be. I really hope the new regime makes it possible for all Indians living abroad to come back and with them bring all the good they have seen, heard and experienced and add it to the country's already better than most conditions. I guess that's what they mean by the International Experience.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Hmmm, come february, I have a new mate, my new Toshiba Satellite with windows Vista! Bugger, I hate Vista already, consumes all of my 512 MB ram and there is no difference between running vista basic on this notebook and running XP on my old notebook with 128 MB ram. My frustration has led me to rename Windows Vista as Windows Vishthha... Vishtha meaning spit in my native tongue. Gates could have been more clearer when naming it. He Heh

Priorities

Its been  2 months since I have begun my new adventure in Zimbabawe. Contrary to popular belief, its a thriving society, with kind, good natured albeit greedy people, striving to get back on its feet after the economic meltdown a decade ago. I thought the going would be tough. Its much more than tough, its brutal, but I find myself enjoying it. The pressure, the multitasking, developing people skills, the responsibility and the the multiple roles that I am playing here seem to give me a rush, the same kind of rush that I felt when I was working my own gig at Goa in 2006-2008. But, in this rush, I seem to have forgotten that I am now a married man, that part of my free time, all if possible, belongs to my family. So engrossed am I in my work, that I am finding myself thinking more of work and less of the family I left back home. Is this normal? Is there something wrong with me? What makes one forget some things while remembering others? What makes ME, remember to call up every sing

Holiday at Asan

After a very successful Industrial Expo and accolades coming in from all quarters, it was time for the entire team to unwind. Somewhere during the period prior to the expo I had become a part of the team, sort of accepted, either that or the guys were just being nice to me or may be there is some other vested interest that I have not yet imagined. Whatever the reason, I was invited to join the team on a week end holiday. I must confess to planting the seed for the holiday. All I did was suggest to my colleagues that since the expo is done with and very little to do immediately, that we take his opportunity and the available weekend to check out Dehradun’s first and only multiplex. The guys were not too interested as no good movies were on. It dawned on them that they hadn’t taken their families together for an outing in a while and so it was decided that a weekend overnight trip was due. After much deliberations as to the appropriate choice for the holiday, Asan Barrage was decided.